Dark Corners of the Galaxy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum site for players in my Star Wars D6 campaign. http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/dark-corners-of-the-galaxy

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Healer

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

The Healer Empty
PostSubject: The Healer   The Healer Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 5:14 pm

Getting back to your previous request to him.

"I'd like to get some samples of viruses to start making cures for, but I'm not sure of the best way to do that. The last time I contacted Caduceus, I would up in Aretak. Which was good, don't get me wrong. But I'd like one of my plans to go the way I want for once. Any suggestions on that? Or any suggestions of projects I could work on in that lab with what I have right now?"

The Healer has an idea for you.

"You know I once heard of a great doctor who thought to end all suffering in the Galaxy. By a similar token I've spent many hours contemplating a way to wipe out all disease in the Galaxy. I have some notes I could share with you if you're interested."
Back to top Go down
https://dcotg.forumotion.com
Artemis

Artemis

The Healer Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Healer   The Healer Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 5:20 pm

Artemis's ears perk up at that. "Are you serious?" he gushes, unable to believe what he's heard. "I didn't think that was actually possible! Ohmigosh, yes I would love to see those notes. Tell me everything! Notes, leads, physiology! How do you account for the different races, immune systems..."
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

The Healer Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Healer   The Healer Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 5:28 pm

The Healer brings up some holoschematics of something that looks somewhat like a mechanical virus.

"I had the idea when we ran into that nanite technology in the Maw. What if one were to build a nanite virus that attacked real viruses and harmful bacterias? Capable of disassembling them at the cellular level taking what they've broken down and building more of their own kind to go out and continue the job. They could reside in symbiosis within the cell like mitochondria. Ever vigilant for new diseases and able to spread air born to other hosts should their numbers grow to large. It could take a few generations to fully propagate throughout the galaxy but it would be our legacy. Magnificient isn't it?"

Back to top Go down
Artemis

Artemis

The Healer Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Healer   The Healer Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 5:35 pm

Artemis watches and listens, completely engrossed. One foot taps rapidly on the ground, expending nervous energy as his mind runs over the suggestion, searching for holes and possible pitfalls.

The words 'virus' and 'nanites' have him nervous.

"It it works, that would be the most elegant thing I've ever had the pleasure to witness," he breathes. "But how would the nanites know to differentiate between invader and host? Not even natural systems can avoid that all of the time--allergies and arthritis, and other autoimmune diseases as well are examples of that. Not to mention how wildly different the systems of all of the races in the galaxy are. Unless..."

Artemis snaps his fingers. "Unless the nanites could communicate or be controlled by the host immune system, activated and wielded as a tool only! But mutation, what about mutation." The doctor continues to babble, tossing out ideas to his brilliant counterpart as they come. "How can we ensure that the nanites won't mutate and become aggressive against the host, like Zarkhov's nanites did?"
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

The Healer Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Healer   The Healer Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 5:40 pm

"That is precisely what we are here for doctor, to give it the Arahn touch missing from a mindless system. They would be programmed and monitored to prevent such things. Zarkov nanites only did what they were programmed to do, as would ours. The nanites were not some benevolently programmed AIs that forgot their programming. A machine does not evolve or mutate unless it is programmed to evolve or mutate."
Back to top Go down
Artemis

Artemis

The Healer Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Healer   The Healer Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 5:43 pm

Artemis tilts his head thoughtfully. "Was Eight programmed to evolve? Or did he simply evolve by himself? There's a factor we're missing here--The Force. But with the two of us working together, we could probably puzzle that one out. This is powerful. As such...it makes me nervous. But it's a brilliant idea that's definitely worth looking into."

The doctor looks speculatively at the Healer. "Is there any way that I could keep in contact with you while awake? A link through the Force, perhaps? We could truly work together on this then."
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

The Healer Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Healer   The Healer Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 5:47 pm

"I am afraid not. Once you awaken I cease to exist. We only exist on this plane while you sleep."
Back to top Go down
Artemis

Artemis

The Healer Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Healer   The Healer Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 5:49 pm

"Bah," Artemis grumbles. "Still, I can come back any time I like, correct? To discuss results and plans and problems and everything? You'll still be here, right? You aren't planning on going anywhere, right?"
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

The Healer Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Healer   The Healer Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 5:55 pm

"Oh, dear me, no child. I like it here very much. I have no intention of leaving anytime soon."
Back to top Go down
Artemis

Artemis

The Healer Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Healer   The Healer Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 6:04 pm

Artemis claps his hands together and cackles. "Brilliant! Gods above I could almost kiss you. This could work. It'll go one of two ways: brilliant success or horrifying devastation. After the Defel incident, we have to be especially cautious."

He ponders. "But with the Jedi guarding my insanity...perhaps that's a good thing. I won't mess this up from going crazy at least." He snaps his attention back to the Healer. "So, do you have any ideas on how to actually make the nanites? There is nanotechnology being worked on currently here, but Zarkhov's nanites came from another dimension. Any ideas on how to make an analogue of that? It'd have to be a mostly inert metal, I think. Something that doesn't react badly with biological systems. That rules out any type of silver."
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

The Healer Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Healer   The Healer Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 6:10 pm

"Of course, of course, I've been looking over this very intently for some time. A mandalorian ore shell should keep it quite inconspicuous to the bodies natural defenses. I believe it's resistance to that Force of yours also grants it some strange immunity over biological forces as well. More effective even than surgical steel."
Back to top Go down
Artemis

Artemis

The Healer Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Healer   The Healer Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 6:13 pm

Artemis ponders this, foot tapping rapidly once more in both thought and worry. "Mandalorian ore...would being infected by this inhibit the Force, though? If this was spread throughout someone's system, might that not...cut the host off from the Force entirely?" He looks worriedly at the Healer. "This might everyone immune to diseases all right, but would it also make everyone immune to the Force?"
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

The Healer Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Healer   The Healer Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 6:26 pm

"I highly doubt that. We're talking about trace amounts of ore at a molecular level. If that was all it took to inhibit the Force just being in the presence of Mandalorian ore would do the same. I'm sure you could recruit dear Tryce to help you test it out, he's always whined about giving up the Force if he could. Take a sliver of ore and jam in into you. That would be more ore than the nanites would ever be comprised of and if it doesn't cut you off they surely would not."
Back to top Go down
Artemis

Artemis

The Healer Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Healer   The Healer Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 6:33 pm

"I'd rather test it on myself than on poor Tryce. He's finally found his place in the Force, poor dear," Artemis mutters. His foot continues to tap rapidly. "And it's true that a mesh covering of mandalorean ore didn't impede my force abilities here. Your logic is sound." Artemis grins at the Healer. "Naturally."

"All right. This is looking good. Very good. Plans, more plans." He taps at the holonotes. "I know you've thought more in depth about the mechanics. Let's brainstorm."

Artemis will spend the rest of his time talking to the Healer until he's satisfied enough with the idea to start working on it in the real world.

Then, before he leaves, he'll go down to the Jedi.

"You," he'll state, "are a good man. I've found a much, much, much better use of my time than trying to unleash those memories. It's brilliant and wonderful and perfect. Keep guarding the crazy for me, will you? I'd hug you, but you'd probably kill me for that. And thanks."
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

The Healer Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Healer   The Healer Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

"You really shouldn't trust him." The Jedi growls at you.
Back to top Go down
Artemis

Artemis

The Healer Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Healer   The Healer Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 6:46 pm

Artemis tilts his head curiously to one side. "I didn't say I trusted him blindly. After all, I've screwed up before. What about the plan worries you?"
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

The Healer Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Healer   The Healer Icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 1:55 am

"I never said you were blindly trusting him, why so defensive doctor? Unless you felt you were blindly trusting him. But now that YOU mention it, you rushing in here to give up on your original plans certainly seems to indicate you put an awful lot of blind faith in him."
Back to top Go down
Artemis

Artemis

The Healer Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Healer   The Healer Icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 9:30 am

Artemis laughs softly. "Would you rather I kept trying to get past you?" he asks. "Frankly, I do still want to conquer what's behind that door. I want that very much indeed, make no mistake." He eyes the Jedi speculatively. "And I do still want to find a way around you, just to know that I can."

Then he shakes his head. "But I want those things for my own heart's peace. That shouldn't factor into my work to help others. So now, when I'm working on this new project, might not be the best time to unlock that door. Should I fail to beat what's back there, then my endeavors are at risk. The Healer's idea could turn out one of two ways: brilliant success or horrifying devastation. I'll be damned if I let it be the latter."
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

The Healer Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Healer   The Healer Icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 11:11 am

"You're damned either way, you just don't know it."
Back to top Go down
Artemis

Artemis

The Healer Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Healer   The Healer Icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 11:19 am

"And why is that?" the doctor counters. "Because you believe that all I'm good for now is to die for my sins? I think the better idea is to all of my brilliance to help people rather than taking the easy way out."
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

The Healer Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Healer   The Healer Icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 11:28 am

"Whether you live or die having atoned for your sins is no concern of mine. Go on doctor, cure the galaxy, I will still be here if you think you can cure yourself. You were warned."
Back to top Go down
Artemis

Artemis

The Healer Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Healer   The Healer Icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 11:45 am

"Then why am I still damned if the Healer's plan works, and works well?" Artemis insists. "Nevermind curing myself. As long as your guarding that door, I should be right in the head."
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

The Healer Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Healer   The Healer Icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 6:33 pm

"You think diseases are some great evil power to be fought? They are naturally occurring and as such are connected to the Force the same as you and every living creature. They are forces of nature with a design and purpose. Species, animal and sentient, are culled by them and made stronger. How many generations of Arahn were you distilled from? Culled and forged and made stronger by it, you and everyone gathering to fight Sith. Warriors in the Force, you stand a fighting chance. What would stand before him if not for those deemed too weak and unfit for the species? Your passion is admirable doctor, but be careful what path it takes you."
Back to top Go down
Artemis

Artemis

The Healer Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Healer   The Healer Icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 9:39 pm

Artemis is quiet for several seconds upon hearing that. He leans a shoulder against the wall of the room, brow slanted in a frown.

"Impeding evolution," he summarizes, locking eyes with his Jedi self. "I see your argument, and there is logic in it." He pauses. "But it's just as likely that diseases will never truly be wiped out, regardless. This should, ideally, be fashioned as a tool to aid those who can assimilate it."

He sighs, and rubs his hands over his face tiredly. "There are many ways I could take this. The most ideal would be to fashion these nanites to work as a mediator between disease and host, turning the relationship into an symbiotic one rather than a parasitic one. That would help everyone. Make everyone stronger."

He lets his hands drop to his sides. "Also, by your logic, we would all be stronger if there weren't doctors like myself. If there were no healers, then only the strongest would survive." He shakes his head. "But there would also be fewer of us. Strength and worth is not determined by physical prowess alone. Who are you to decide who is not worthy to live? Personally, I cannot stand by and allow suffering like I've seen to continue. I am a doctor. I am also a Jedi Knight, but my passion in the Force lies with healing others. Not harming them."

Last edited by Artemis on Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:47 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Damn typos.)
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

The Healer Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Healer   The Healer Icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 10:00 pm

"You are tampering with a power you don't fully understand and trusting in a single minded obsession. Leave this place, and leave me, I will hear no more of this nonsense."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Healer Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Healer   The Healer Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Healer
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Dark Corners of the Galaxy :: Leftovers :: Artemis-
Jump to: